About Us

History: Swami Brahmanandaji Maharaj (Raja Maharaj) loved Puri for its spiritual atmosphere and he came here many times. He wanted to set up a Math in the Jagannath-kshetra and pointed out a piece of land in the bank of the sea at Chakratirtha which belonged to the property of Ramakrishna Basu, son of Balaram Basu, a spirited devotee of Shree Shree Thakur. In 1911, Ramakrishna Basu donated the land but in 1932, the Math building was constructed and, putatively, Swami Shankaranandaji Maharaj,  the 7th President of Ramakrishna Math & Ramakrishna mission, Belur Math installed the pictures of holy trio, Raja Maharaj and Shree Jagannath after special Puja-Havan.

About this Math: We have two campuses divided by one tiny lane. One side, adjacent to the sea shore , has shrine and prayer hall, Monks quarter, kitchen and vegetable garden, and the other campus covers guest house, staff quarter, office, dispensary, tailoring section and garden, We have one permanent stage with an open auditorium in front of our office-building. On the stage the attractive statue of Swami Vivekananda enhances the spirit of work-and-worship atmosphere. Parallel exotic is the plaster of parish statue of Holy Mother at the Mandir veranda. At present, we are five monks and one Brahmachary at this Math. ‘Far from the madding crowd’ the Math beside the sea is pleasant, calm and quiet.